Instagram is one of the biggest social media network out there. Every day it continues to increase its influence in the social media platforms. What does it bring new? It brings the possibility to post without having to boost the post in order for it to show up in your followers news feed. Users can showcase their personality in a visual and creative way. They can as well interact with followers on a daily basis. These are some of the things that help them create brand loyalty.
It’s main focus is on photos and short video sharing.
Visual has become the main marketing tool in the past year, as people are more receptive to visual. To be able to share good quality photos, you have to follow some basic rules. While 1t first it has all been about the square, in time the Instagram platform developed and nowadays various image sizes are accepted. The personal accounts do not give a lot of importance to Instagram image sizes. But, if you are a brand and try to showcase your best, the perfect image dimensions for an Instagram post is for sure of interest to you. Therefore, the better image optimization you have, the better brand exposure and more followers your profile will have.
Instagram has been listening to its users and has come up with new photo orientation versions and dimensions. No matter which type of photo orientation from below you choose, the 10 pictures in a single album remains available for all.
Image dimensions for Instagram posting
There are three image orientations you should focus on, each with their special dimensions to follow:
- The square has been the first image orientation and the one and only for a long time. Since the beginning of Instagram, the dimension for the square image has been a maximum of 600 pixels * 600 pixels. While Instagram can store a larger version of your photo, the photo cannot be displayed at more than the maximum of 600 pixels * 600 pixels. To have a good quality photo stick to a 1080 pixels *1080 pixels photo. There are many accounts that even now prefer to have only square photo and keep their Instagram feed clean.
- The landscape (horizontal) orientation is the new addition to Instagram. Choosing to post a landscape image has the same limitations as above. Instagram will store a bigger size of your photo but will showcase a smaller one. While it will in the end display a 600 pixels * 337 pixels, the ideal size for you to upload is of 1080 pixels * 566 pixels.
- The portrait (vertical) photo orientation has an ideal dimension for you to upload of 1080 pixels * 1350 pixels. However, what Instagram will display will be a photo at a maximum of 480 pixels * 600 pixels. This orientation fits very well the Pins from your Pinterest account and it may grow to be liked more, as it can cover more of your screen than the other ones.
Currently what we see going on is the square still having the most followers as people got used with it and think that it is more professional to have an account that sticks to just a one size image. But in time the usage of the other two photo orientations will increase as well. However, there are as well those that mix them up and think out of the box and their accounts really come with a new and fresh look, in comparison to the others.
It is important to follow the recommended dimensions for the photos and not lower ones. The lower resolution pictures you upload, the lower quality will your photo have on Instagram. And you do not want this, as people are not interested in seeing low quality images.
You do not know how to upload a photo that is not square and that you do not want to be square? Nothing is simpler. All you have to do is select the photo that you want to upload, tap at the lower left corner to switch from a square to the type of photo you have, adjust the photo just as you want it to fit the frame and then click next.
Now that you have seen what are the ideal photo dimensions on Instagram, there are photos that are not yours and you want to save them on your iPhone or your laptop. Instagram has millions of users, out of which magnificent communities of photographers that post the best photos to share with people.
Saving the photos that you post on Instagram is easy, as this can be done from the settings field in Instagram. Going to Settings you will see the Option list from which you have to turn on the “Save the Original Photo” option.
What is more difficult is to save someone else’s photos from their Instagram account, to your mobile device.
While Instagram made sure it protects and respects the individual, as well as that it does not break any copywriting laws and prevents users from downloading other user’s photos; there are other apps that thought to come in the help of those that need to download some images from other users’ accounts. The only thing Instagram offers is the possibility to bookmark the photos you like to your private Instagram profile. However, you cannot find the photos in your phone gallery.
We all know that screen shot option and how to use it.
For those of you that do not, you just pick the photo you would like, make a screen shot of it, then select it and crop it so that it looks like a photo in your phone. However, there is quite a lot of work to put into this task.
A good option to save the photos of somebody else on your iPhone is though the URL.
The steps are:
- Open the Instagram account and find the photo that you want to save
- Go to the right corner of it and select “Copy link”
- Go in Safari and “Paste” the link
- Click long on the photo and press “Copy”
- Then go to notes from your phone and “Paste” the photo into them
- Tap the “Share” button available and press “Save” image. After this, the photo should be in your phone gallery.
Anyhow, the above are not good options if you have many photos you would like to save to your iPhone. If you know you want to download more photos from other users, check the below third parties recommendations. These apps can help you with downloading what you want, as much as you want, in less time.
Some of best online Instagram photo grabbers to choose from are:
- 4K Stogram
- InstaSaver Free – this is more appropriate for mobile devices use
How do they work?
You have to choose which one you would like to use and download it to your iPhone. After this just copy the URL of the picture, like you were supposed to do at the previous step. Open the downloaded app and “Paste” the URL. It will end up with showing you the photo. All you have left to do is click “Save” and you will have it in your iPhone gallery. Some apps may put you tap the “Share” button and from then choose the “Save” one. The steps might slightly differ, but not very much.
While the above may work for both downloading the images you like on your iPhone, any other mobile device or laptop, you should know that before publicly using a photo you have to have permission of the owner of the photo. So, make sure either you use them for your own likes or get the permission to republish them.
Being mainly a mobile social media platform, Instagram gets a lot of return of investment for the brands that decide to market on it. People just spend more time on Instagram than on the other social networks. They do this because it is more fun and you can find compelling content of what you are interested in, without having any disruptions; it has a clean image and video display, out of which your brand and you have nothing but win.
What matters for Instagram is the image and from this the above. Make sure you keep your images clear, focused, dominated by a single color and concise with your page. As simple as Instagram may look like from a first glimpse, paying attention to details will get you the expected results from your account.